Gordon tops qualifying field by just over one second as top four all under four minutes; Job tops Class 1 qualifiers Presented by BFGoodrich Tires, SCORE Baja 1000 Qualifying, featured Method Race Wheels $2,500 Fastest Qualifier Award
Live streaming of SEMA SCORE Baja 1000 Experience at SEMA Show at Las Vegas Convention Center on SCORE Dirt LiveHD
LAS VEGAS—Former NASCAR driver/team owner, short-course race series promoter and desert racing superstar Robby Gordon earned the top qualifying spot in the featured SCORE Trophy Truck division Tuesday night for next week’s 47th annual Tecate SCORE Baja 1000, the granddaddy of all desert races.
The special Tecate SCORE Baja 1000 Qualifying, presented by BFGoodrich Tires was held on a purpose built, very technical 3.6-mile course that started and finished on the Off-Road Track at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
In front of an appreciative capacity crowd at the LVMS Off-Road Track, Gordon blistered the dirt and asphalt covering the course in three minutes, 52.902 seconds with an average speed of 55.65 miles per hour in his No. 77 Speed Energy Gordon Motorsports Chevy CK1500.
Gordon finished just faster than three prominent Las Vegas desert racing stars Rob MacCachren, Bryce Menzies and B.J. Baldwin as all four drivers broke the four-minute barrier Tuesday night.
MacCachren was second in 3:54.014 (55.38mph) in the No. 11 Rockstar Energy MacCachren Motorsports Ford F-150, Menzies was third in 3:59.514 (54.11mph) in the No. 70 Red Bull Menzies Motorsports Ford F-150 and Baldwin was fourth in 3:59.886 (54.03mph) in the No. 1 Monster Energy Baldwin Motorsports Chevy Silverado.
With the Gordon also receiving the Method Race Wheels $2,500 Fastest Qualifier Award, 20 SCORE Trophy Trucks and four Class 1 open-wheel race cars participated in the optional qualifying for starting positions within their respective classes. SCORE Trophy Truck is the marquee racing division for high-tech, 850-horsepower unlimited production trucks. With late entries accepted up to next Wednesday, SCORE Trophy Truck has 31 official entries to date at Class 1 has 18 total entries so far.
The race, which will have a record-long course of approximately 1,275 miles, will be a peninsula run down Mexico’s majestic Baja California peninsula starting in Ensenada, Baja California Norte and finishing in La Paz, Baja California Sur. The race and surrounding festivities will be held next Tuesday through Saturday.
The Tecate SCORE Baja 1000 Qualifying, presented by BFGoodrich Tires and featuring the Method Race Wheels $2,500 Fastest Qualifier Award, was part of the massive celebratory SEMA SCORE Baja 1000 Experience that is a spotlight attraction this week at the annual SEMA Show trade gathering at the Las Vegas Convention Center.
Today, at a special 2:30 p.m. (PT) media conference and racer meet and greet at the SEMA SCORE Baja 1000 Experience area, Gordon will be presented with his Method Race Wheels $2,500 Fastest Qualifier Award. The media conference will air on the SCORE DirtLive HD platform at www.score-international.com.
The 3.6-mile qualifying course at LVMS incorporated off-road, dirt and asphalt elements, utilized two race courses including one lap around the paved LVMS stock car short track, and require the drivers to use their lights and qualify in the darkness of the Las Vegas night.
With most teams in the race using multiple drivers, several co-drivers actually drove for qualifying. Fastest qualifier in Class 1 was veteran Las Vegas racer Larry Job, who is the second driver for Scott Bailey, Riverside, Calif. Job was timed in 4:22.092 at 49.45mph in the No. 129 Stronghold Motorsports Alumi Craft-Chevy.
The vehicles that elected not to qualify for starting positions will be part of a random draw today at the SEMA SCORE Baja 1000 Experience to determine their starting order behind all of the vehicles that elected to qualify on Tuesday night. CBS SPORTS NETWORK COVERAGE
All races in the 2014 SCORE World Desert Championship series, along with the special SEMA SCORE Baja 1000 Experience and qualifying for the Tecate SCORE Baja 1000 from Las Vegas Motor Speedway, are televised on a delayed basis in the USA and Canada as a one-hour special on the CBS Sports Network. The shows, produced by SoCal’s acclaimed BCII TV, air a minimum of two times on the CBS Sports Spectacular show.
All shows are scheduled to premier in the next month following the event. The success of the productions has enabled CBS Sports Network to air multiple airings of the first three 2014 races. The SCORE San Felipe 250 had 17 extra airings, the SCORE Imperial Valley 250 had five extra airings, and the SCORE Baja 500 garnered seven hours of extra airings in CBS Sports Network.
Following the CBS Sports Network telecasts in the US, the SCORE races air worldwide in over 100 countries through international distribution.
Following are the air dates for the debut of the remaining 2014 SCORE shows on the CBS Sports Network…
• Rigid Industries SCORE Desert Challenge, presented by the city of Imperial (Sunday, Nov. 9, 9 p.m. ET)
• Tecate SCORE Baja 1000 qualifying from Las Vegas Motor Speedway/SEMA SCORE Baja 1000 Experience (Sunday, Dec. 21, 9 p.m. ET)
• Tecate SCORE Baja 1000 (Sunday, Dec. 28, 9 p.m. ET)
CBS Sports Network is available across the country through local cable, video and telco providers and via satellite on DirecTV Channel 221 and Dish Network Channel 158. For more information, including a full programming schedule and how to get CBS Sports Network, go to www.cbssportsnetwork.com. SCORE DirtLive HD
Desert racing public address announcer and former racer George Antill is the executive producer and host of SCORE’s weekly one-hour Internet show and on-site special programming. Joining him in Las Vegas this week is Dianna Dahlgren, Miss Monster Energy Supercross. One of the regular elements of the show on a SCORE social media interchange, allowing fans and racers to comment and ask questions through the SCORE Facebook and SCORE Twitter platforms. Another special segment most weeks is SCORE Tech Tips with SCORE Tech director Art Savedra.
With several million viewers in nearly 100 countries, the SCORE DirtLive HD one-hour show is broadcast live weekly and the show is anchored in 2014 around the five-race SCORE World Desert Championship.
The program is hosted on ustream.com, the world’s largest streaming internet site.
The high definition shows also include numerous award-winning video highlight packages, most produced by Mexico’s Cactus Films or San Diego’s Tempt Media.
SCORE DirtLive HD also goes on-site live with expanded event coverage during SCORE events. Live event coverage in 2014 includes the entire five-race 2014 SCORE World Desert Championship of two races in the United States and three in Baja California, Mexico. Next up its on-site schedule, SCORE DirtLive HD IS providing live coverage from the massive SEMA SCORE Baja 1000 Experience at the SEMA trade show in Las Vegas this week.
Following that event, SCORE DirtLive HD will broadcast live next week from the season-ending 47th Tecate SCORE Baja 1000 in Baja California, Mexico. SCORE SPONSORS…
Official Sponsors: Tecate Beer-Official Beer/Official Race Sponsor, Monster Energy-Official Energy Drink, BFGoodrich Tires-Official Tire, Rigid Industries LED Lighting-Official Lights, King Shocks-Official Shock Absorber, Polaris-Official UTV, Volaris Airlines-Official Airline, CBS Sports Network-Official Television Partner, Wide Open Excursions- Official Arrive and Drive Company, Coca-Cola-Official Soft Drink, Crystal Bay Casino-Official Casino, Hotel Coral and Marina-Official Hotel.
Associate Sponsors: SatellitePhoneStore.com and Symons Ambulance Company.
Additional SCORE Partners: Proturismo Ensenada, Visit Baja California Sur, Baja California Secretary of Tourism, Baja California Sur State Government, Mexicali Ayuntamineto, COTUCO Mexicali/San Felipe, Cruz Roja Mexicana, Corporate Helicopters, Instant Mexico Auto Insurance, GoPro, PCI Race Radios, McKenzie’s Performance Products and Advanced Color Graphics.
For more information, visit the official website of the SCORE World Desert Championship at www.score-international.com.
47th Tecate SCORE Baja 1000 Qualifying Results Presented by BFGoodrich Tires, featuring Method Race Wheels $2,500 Fastest Qualifier Award Nov. 4, 2014 3.6-mile qualifying course, Las Vegas Motor Speedway Off-Road Track
• Race Dates: Nov. 11-15, Season Finale of the 2014 SCORE World Desert Championship • Race Distance/Location: 1,275 miles down Mexico’s Baja California Peninsula • Race Start/Finish: Ensenada, Baja California Norte to La Paz, Baja California Sur • Race Participants: Nearly 250 entries are expected from 40 U.S. States and 20 countries with competition in 25 Pro and 5 Sportsman classes for cars, trucks, UTVs, Motorcycles and ATVs
(NOTE: Entries that elected not to qualify will have a separate random drawing today (Nov. 5 to determine their starting order and they will start after the vehicles that qualified in their respective classes)
QUALIFYING RESULTS: SCORE TROPHY TRUCK (20) (Unlimited Production Trucks) (31 Total Entries) (Vehicle number, qualifying driver/driver of record if different, hometown, vehicle, elapsed time, miles per hour) (includes time penalties as determined)
1. 77 Robby Gordon, Charlotte, N.C., Chevy CK1500, 3 minutes, 52.902 seconds (55.65miles per hour)
2. 11 Rob MacCachren, Las Vegas, Ford F-150, 3:54.014 (55.38mph)
3. 70 Bryce Menzies, Las Vegas, Ford F-150, 3:59.514 (54.11mph)
4. 1 B.J. Baldwin, Las Vegas, Chevy Silverado, 3:59.886 (54.03mph)
5. 80 Dale Dondel, Hemet, Calif. (DOR-Andy Lambert, Kutztown, Pa., Chevy Silverado, 4:03.059 (53.32mph)
6. 83 Luke McMillin, El Cajon, Calif, Ford F-150, 4:04.070 (53.10mph)
7. 15 Armin Schwarz, Austria (Germany), BMW XJ-6, 4:04.999 (52.90mph)
8. 5 Juan Lopez, Tecate, Mexico (DOR-Clyde Stacy, Bristol, Va.), Chevy Rally Truck, 4:05.601 (52.77mph)
9. 21 Gus Vildosola Jr, Mexicali, Mexico, Ford Raptor, 4:06.420 (53.68mph)
10. 16 Cameron Steele, San Clemente, Calif., Chevy Silverado, 4:07.112 (52.45mph)
11. 19 Larry Roeseler, Boulevard, Calif. (DOR-Tim Herbst, Las Vegas), Ford F-150, 4:08.136 (52.23mph)
12. 9 Gary Weyhrich, Troutdale, Ore. (DOR-Mark Weyhrich, Troutdale, Ore.), Ford F-150, 4:13.951 (51.03mph)
13. 7 Gus Vildosola Sr, Mexicali, Mexico (DOR-Steven Eugenio), Chevy Silverado, 4:14.196 (50.98mph)
14. 59 Burt Jenner, Los Angeles (DOR-Craig Potts, Scottsdale, Ariz.), Chevy Silverado, 4:14.200 (50.98mph)
15. 91 Ryan Arciero, Foothill Ranch, Calif. (DOR-Troy Herbst, Las Vegas), Ford F-150, 4:18.239 (52.21mph)
16. 14 Steven Strobel, Clarks, Neb. (DOR-Heidi Steele, San Clemente, Calif., Chevy Silverado, 4:21.619 (49.538mph)
17. 72 Robert Acer, Wilmington, Del., Chevy Silverado, 4:25.181 (48.87mph)
18. 58 David Kleiman, Carlsbad, Calif., Chevy Silverado, 4:32.226 (47.61mph)
19. 26 Charles Dorrance, Austin, Texas (DOR-Jay Reichert, Johnson City, Texas), Ford Raptor, 4:38.105 (48.34mph)
20. 84 Curt LeDuc, Cherry Valley, Calif. (DOR-Nick Vanderwey, Phoenix, Chevy Silverado, 4:46.732 (47.69mph)
Additional SCORE Trophy Truck race entries not qualifying: (Starting order to be determined by random draw today (Nov. 5)
23 Mark McMillin, Chula Vista, Calif., Ford F-150
27 Enrique Murillo, La Paz, Mexico, Toyota Tundra
34 Ken Losch, Phoenix, Chevy Silverado
36 Glen Greer, Green Valley, Ariz., Dodge Ram1500
45 Gary Magness, Desert Hot Spring, Calif., Ford F-150
50 Zak Langley, Santa Monica, Calif., Ford F-150
57 Mike Palmer, Denver, Chevy Silverado
66 Harry Hepler, Lansing, Mich., Chevy Silverado
74 Kyle Conlon, Campo, Calif., Chevy Silverado
29 Andrew Hendricks, Gateway, Colo., Chevy C1500-RS
75 Mike Cook, Orem, Utah, Chevy Silverado-RS
CLASS 1 (4) (unlimited single or two-seat open-wheelers) (18 Total Entries) (Vehicle number, qualifying driver/driver of record if different, hometown, vehicle, elapsed time, miles per hour) (includes time penalties as determined)
1. 129 Larry Job, Las Vegas (DOR-Scott Bailey, Riverside, Calif., Alumi Craft-XXXX, 4:22.092 (49.45miles per hour)
2. 185 Justin Davis, Chino Hills, Calif., Jimco-Chevy, 4:30.974 (49.66mph)
3. 115 Todd Tuls, Columbus, Neb., Jimco-Chevy, 4:34.677 (47.18mph)
4. 152 Mark Hutchins, Henderson, Nev., Custom-Chevy, 4:37.234 (46.75mph)
Additional Class 1 race entries not qualifying:
(Starting order to be determined by random draw today (Nov. 5)
100 Cody Parkhouse, Long Beach, Calif., Jimco-Chevy
101 Justin Matney, Bristol, Tenn, Geiser-Chevy
102 Jaime Huerta, Ensenada, Mexico, Jimco-Chevy
111 Morgan Langley, Santa Monica, Calif., Racer-Chevy
121 Damen Jefferies, Apple Valley, Calif., Jefferies-Chevy
135 Augie Cortez, Downey, Calif., WickedCreations-Chevy
138 Randy Wilson, Lakeside, Calif., Jimco-Chevy
154 Andres Ruffo, Chula Vista, Calif., Jimco-Chevy
161 Chris Western, Australia, Element-Chevy
168 Shelby Reid, Apple Valley, Calif., Custom-Chevy
180 Jim Anderson, Reno, Nev., Penhall-Chevy
189 Jon Walker, Tamuning, Guam, Kreger-Chevy
145 Nils Castillo, Santa Paula, Calif., Jimco-Chevy-RS
147 Pat McCarthy, Hermosa Beach, Calif., Jimco-Chevy-RS
SCORE MEDIA CONTACT: Dominic Clark, email@example.com