GREENVILLE, S.C., Nov. 24, 2015 – Despite the silt beds, dense fog and treacherous terrain that claimed the day for many racers, BFGoodrich Tires claimed is 27th overall SCORE Baja 1000 race win and swept the season of the SCORE International Desert race schedule for the second consecutive year.
BFGoodrich placed the top 11 overall finishers at this iconic off-road race, including the top 10 Trophy Truck finishers, the top seven Class 10 finishers and secured 10 class titles. As the final race of the SCORE season, the Baja 1000 determined many classes’ season championships, including the overall Desert World Championship crown.
BFGoodrich Performance Team member Rob MacCachren and co-driver Andy McMillin took the top overall position to repeat as champions at the 48th running of the Bud Light SCORE Baja 1000, which is the longest desert race at 828 miles across the Baja California peninsula.
BFGoodrich has amassed 86 total wins on the Baja peninsula, has won the last 10 consecutive SCORE-sanctioned races and 20 of the last 21 major North American desert races.
“Just a few years ago, some in the industry were ready to shovel dirt on the grave of BFGoodrich Tires when it comes to desert racing. Instead, the finish-line crowd saw the parade of race vehicles on BFGoodrich Tires crossing the line with class championships. We painted the desert in title-winning performances. We also achieved some new aspirations as well — taking a season championship in Class 19 with a new race tire and sweeping the Spec Trophy Truck season,” said Chris Baker, motorsports director for BFGoodrich Tires.
“On top of that, BFGoodrich swept the overall winners’ positions for the entire SCORE series for the second straight year. That makes an emphatic statement about our resolve and dedication to desert racing,” Baker said. “Forty years of winning history doesn’t come easily. With tremendous innovation and engineering, BFGoodrich produces the finest desert race tires for the talented drivers who depend on traction and toughness that are unmatched in the industry. Four decades of success is a great story; but with this year’s results, we have written the opening chapter for many years of winning yet to come.”
Here are a few additional storylines from this year’s Baja 1000:
· Larry Connor ran Trophy Truck Spec to a class win on BFGoodrich Tires, securing a sweep of the SCORE season in that class.
· Rob MacCachren now has three overall SCORE Baja 1000 victories while Andy McMillin claimed his fifth career overall at this race, placing him in a tie for second among overall career winners.
· The 10 class wins for BFGoodrich Tires ranks as the most class wins of any tire manufacturer, now tallying 23 class wins in the last two SCORE Baja 1000 races.
· The class win in the Open Motorcycle class for Colton Udall, Mark Samuels and Justin Jones was accomplished on Michelin Desert Race tires.
· 65% of all finishers were running on BFGoodrich Tires.
· Rod Hall and his team completed the SCORE Baja 1000 and marked the 48th consecutive Baja 1000 race completion for Hall. The win marks his 23rd class win.
BFGoodrich – The Tire of Choice
BFGoodrich once again boasts the most tire fitments among the four-wheel vehicle classes using specialty race tires like the BFGoodrich® Baja T/A®,, BFGoodrich® Baja T/A® KR and BFGoodrich® Baja T/A® KR2. Beyond these race tires, many race classes depend on the durability and toughness of BFGoodrich off-road tires to endure the Baja terrain, including the BFGoodrich® Mud-Terrain T/A® KM2 and the new BFGoodrich® All-Terrain T/A® KO2.
BFGoodrich Tires introduced the latest in desert race tire technology in 2013 with the BFGoodrich Tires Baja T/A® KR2. Since then, the tire has been adopted by race teams in various classes and has amassed 18 overall desert race wins.
For Trophy Truck and Class 10 classes, the top classes running the KR2 tire, BFGoodrich placed the top 10 Trophy Truck finishers and the top seven Class 10 finishers.
BFGoodrich Performance Team Recaptures SCORE Baja 1000 title
BFGoodrich’s Performance Team, featuring championship-caliber racers, bolted out to a strong lead in the opening miles of the race, then overcame two transmission changes to claim the Baja Challenge (BC) class title.
After finishing second in last year’s race, the team reclaimed the title and claimed another win for the Company’s best all-terrain tire, the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A® KO2. The KO2, launched in 2014 to consumers at large, became a Baja champion tire in 2013 with a similar group of BFGoodrich ambassadors.
Led by Bob Bower, team captain and former overall Baja 1000 champion, the BFGoodrich Performance Team also includes Kyle Tucker, Brad Lovell, Bill Weber, Brian Finch and Rich Minga.
“Those KO2 tires took a terrible beating in this race, but we finished with the same set of tires we started with over a day ago,” Bower said.
Bud Light SCORE Baja 1000 Overall Top Finishers (all running on BFGoodrich Tires)
1. Rob MacCachren, Las Vegas/Andy McMillin, San Diego, Ford F-150, (SCORE Trophy Truck)
2. Carlos Lopez, Tecate, Mexico/Clyde Stacy, Bristol, Va./Juan C. Lopez, Tecate, Mexico, Chevy Rally Truck, (SCORE Trophy Truck)
3. Eduardo Laguna, Mexicali, Mexico/Josh Daniel, Canyon Country, Calif., Chevy Silverado, (SCORE Trophy Truck)
4. Troy Herbst, Las Vegas/Ryan Arciero, Foothill Ranch, Calif., Ford F-150, (SCORE Trophy Truck)
5. Tim Herbst, Las Vegas/Larry Roeseler, Boulevard, Calif., Ford F-150, (SCORE Trophy Truck)
6. Gus Vildosola Jr/Gus Vildosola, Mexicali, Mexico, Ford Raptor, (SCORE Trophy Truck)
7. Steven Eugenio, Vista, Calif./Armin Schwarz, Austria (Germany), Chevy C1500, (SCORE Trophy Truck))
8. Dan McMillin, La Mesa, Calif./Chuck Hovey, Escondido, Calif., Ford F-150, (SCORE Trophy Truck
9. Mark Weyhrich, Troutdale, Ore./Gary Weyhrich, Troutdale, Ore., Ford F-150, (SCORE Trophy Truck)
10. Cameron Steele, San Clemente, Calif./Pat Dean, Las Vegas/Cody Stuart, Capistrano Beach, Calif., Chevy Silverado, (SCORE Trophy Truck)
11. Larry Connor, Miamisburg, Ohio/Jason Ruane, England/Neal Mason, Temecula, Calif., Chevy Silverado, (Trophy Truck Spec)
BFGoodrich Tires Class Wins
SCORE Trophy Truck Rob MacCachren/Andy McMillin, Ford F-150
Class 1 Jon Walker/Corey Keyser, Kreger-Chevy
Class 10 Cody Reid, Louis Chamberland./Mike Majesky, Custom-Chevy
Trophy Truck Spec Larry Connor/Jason Ruane/Neal Mason, Chevy Silverado
SCORE Lites Mario Alcala/Jose Robles/Juan Mayoral
Class 5 Victor Cesena/Gerardo Iribe/Martin Collins
Stock Full Rod Hall/Chad Hall/Damien Michelin/Mike Winkel, Hummer H1
Baja Challenge Bob Bower/Brad Lovell/Kyle Tucker/Bill Weber/Brian Finch/Rich Minga
Class 7 Dan Chamlee/Kurt Kimball, Ford Ranger
Class 8 Rick Sanchez/Maury Arce/Miguel Padilla, Chevy Silverado
About BFGoodrich Tires
Using motorsports as a proving ground for more than 40 years, BFGoodrich Tires is involved in every type of racing, including sports car, short course, desert, dirt, short course and extreme rock crawling. BFGoodrich Tires combines technological expertise with vast motorsports experience, delivering a high-performance tire for every type of vehicle. Visit the BFGoodrich Tires Racing site at http://www.bfgoodrichracing.com on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/BFGoodrichTires or on Twitter at @BFGoodrichTires.
Tom Sullivan, BFGoodrich Tires
864-458-4321 or Tom.Sullivan@us.michelin.com
Manager, Public Relations
One Parkway South
Greenville, SC 29615